Work At Steve & Kate's
In order to create a camp where every child feels safe, respected, empowered, and a sense of belonging, Steve & Kate’s needs seasonal and year-round teams that represent the richness and diversity of our local communities. We are an equal-opportunity employer that strives to have staff members of all races, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities join us in helping kids (and adults) learn to trust themselves and one another. We also strive to create an environment where work, learning, and play is inclusive, equitable, and accessible for all.
It takes a lot to make camp happen every year and we couldn't do it without the amazing folks who make-up our year-round team. If you're looking for a career with Steve & Kate's, check out the options below.
We're hiring a Manager, Procurement and Logistics!
The Procurement and Logistics Manager will be solely responsible for sourcing all equipment and supplies needed to operate a wide variety of innovative kids programs at over 50 Winter, Spring and Summer camp locations nationwide. They will work directly with Senior Leadership, various internal teams (Program, Accounting, Accounts Payable and Procurement), outside vendors and on-site Camp Managers, to ensure on-budget and on-time delivery of items that meet the camp’s quality, function, sustainability and financial requirements. They will regularly engage in high pressure, high intensity, time-sensitive negotiations with vendors, often outside of business hours, to ensure agreements are honored and deadlines are met, which is key to the success of the camp’s programs.
This position is remote.
What you will be doing in this role:
- Work with VPs and Program Team to establish equipment and supply product list and budget, which consists on average of 600 SKUs valued at $4 million; accountable for sourcing all equipment and supplies on budget.
- Manage and build out complex forecasting tools to determine precise quantity needs for all items based on anticipated number of camps, duration of operation, expected attendance and use.
- Manage relationships with more than 30 existing key vendors, and identify new vendors as needed; negotiate $500k+ Purchase Orders, while ensuring competitive pricing, service and delivery terms.
- Work with vendors to ensure on-time delivery and with service providers to kit, prepare, configure and assemble items so they are ready to use out-of-the-box.
- Coordinate shipping to a network of third party logistics facilities nationwide with complex logistical constraints and precise receiving windows.
- Coordinate vendor setup and payment for all purchases in collaboration with Accounts Payable Department.
- Strategic coordination with the Accounting Team to forecast spend, ensure proper allocation of expenses and to review monthly reports.
- Provide planning, budget tools, trainings and other resources to 40+ Camp Managers so they know how equipment is to be used and allocated across programs at their locations; work directly with Camp Managers on repairs and re-stock to ensure smooth, uninterrupted operations of programs.
- Manage the full life cycle of equipment and supplies that will either be inventoried, reconditioned, stored and reused at future camps or disposed of or sold. For items that will be sold, they will implement and manage annual B2C and B2B used equipment sale generating 6-figure sales.
- Adapt and develop new vendor and product lists, budgets and logistical systems to enable rapid growth of camps, as well as support new programs and revenue streams in the near future.
What we hope you will bring to this role:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- 3 years of experience in budget management required
- 3 years of experience in managing schedules and/or logistical systems required
- 3 years of experience in procurement and/or vendor negotiations required
- Advanced Excel and quantitative reasoning
- Ability to manage and track budgets
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Comfortable and effective in high pressure negotiations
- Ability to expertly manage multiple, concurrent complex projects with time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders to achieve consensus and common goal achievement
- Extreme attention to detail
This role has the following employment benefits:
- Health Care
- Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
The compensation for this role is $73,500 - $93,500.
We'll be hiring year-round directors for our camp locations soon!
Sign up here to be notified when new positions become available. In the meantime, check out our Self-Director role below to learn more about the position:
We’ve made Camp a real career.
Remember when you went to camp as a kid and thought working there as an adult would be the coolest? Well, good news — we’ve figured out a way to make Camp an actual career with grown-up stuff like 401ks, legit salaries, and a full package of benefits. We know that we need phenomenal people if we are going to run phenomenal camps, and phenomenal people need real careers — we’ve got em. You can do meaningful work using your inherent leadership, organizational, and people skills, and you don’t have to sacrifice making a living. Right now, we’re looking for a year-round, full-time director (or what we internally call a “self-director,” given the self-directed nature of our camp and the job itself) to run holiday and summer day camps.
The job, in a nutshell, is to run your own camp, and we’ll actually trust you to do it.
Steve & Kate’s HQ provides the designs, and you provide the management and implementation. Guided by clearly stated expectations, we trust directors to get it done. No micromanaging — just transparent tools used to track progress and stay accountable to ourselves and each other. More specifically:
HQ designs and manages: activities and custom products, onboarding and payroll systems, budgeting tools, proprietary software, marketing resources, procurement and logistics systems, and training modules based on 40 years of expertise.
You will manage: recruiting, hiring, training and leading your local team, executing critical compliance and administrative processes, building relationships with parents and children, site logistics, local marketing events, other stuff that comes with managing a business, and of course, the day to day at camp (including break camps).
How do you know if you’re the right candidate? If you answer “yes” to all of the questions below, definitely apply.
- -Do you appreciate and agree with empowering kids (and adults) to take risks and make their own choices?
- -If you worked at home for most of the year without a boss breathing down your neck, would you actually get dressed at a reasonable hour and push yourself to accomplish big things?
- -Would picking up the phone to strike up a conversation with business managers, school administrators, potential staff, and prospective families you’ve never met fit within your comfort zone? If not, are you willing to stretch?
- -Can you knock out administrative tasks efficiently and with extreme attention to detail?
- -Are you the type of person who can’t rest until you’ve done everything possible to make someone feel cared for? Like if someone you knew was in need, would you do more than send them a “thinking of you” text?
- -Can you multitask like you’re a Hollywood power agent while keeping calm, level-headed, and nice? Especially that last one?
- -Do you have the stamina to keep up (literally) with 4-12 yr. olds bursting with energy and creative potential? And, if needed, can you bench press a kindergartener (or at least lift up to 40lbs.)?
- -Are you committed to helping us keep our staff and customers safe from COVID? We currently require that staff and kids undergo temperature checks and other health measures like wearing masks. We will also ask you to keep everyone safe by complying with any federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding COVID-19, both in your personal and professional life.
Interested? Then please check out our additional Director Eligibility Requirements for your state to make sure you meet the prerequisite requirements to be considered for this role.
We're starting to look for counselors, office-staff, and other seasonal team-members to help run camps over winter & spring breaks!
Sign up here to be notified as soon as we have an open position near you!
We'll start looking for counselors, office-staff, and other seasonal team-members to help support our camps this summer, soon!
Sign up here to be notified as soon as we have an open position near you!