COVID-19 Updates from Steve & Kate's

May 29, 2020 - Summer 2020 Plans

Thanks for hanging with us while we combed through regulations and game-planned for an unprecedented summer. We now feel confident that we can deliver! We are ready to roll for a confirmed July 27th start date (there’s a chance that we may be able to do July 20th and we’ll confirm as soon as we can if that is possible). In an effort to help families what to expect this summer, we’ve updated our website. We recommend that you take some time to read through the changes on the main page and your site’s location page. 

Families who registered prior to May 29th should have received an email inviting them to reserve their weeks this summer (Didn't get it? Let us know).

For families who did not register prior to May 29th, now that we’re confirmed to run, we are going to let families reserve their weeks based on initial registration date. If you know you want to join us this summer, the best next step is to purchase a single Day Pass for each child you plan to send. That reserves your place in line and we’ll reach out in a week or so to let you reserve your week(s). If your preferred weeks are closed or you end up not attending, we’ll be processing refunds automatically in September as usual.

This is our last planned update on this page, but we'll continue to communicate with families via our email list. If you aren't on it, you can join here: https://steveandkatescamp.com/email/ (be sure to 'whitelist' all emails coming from @steveandkate.com to be sure you receive our updates). 

May 13, 2020 - COVID-19 Update from Steve and Kate

Thanks for hanging in during this holding pattern. We know the whole world’s on pause, ping-ponging between worry and restlessness. With this uncertainty, we thought it might be grounding to sketch out what Camp could look like this summer. Here’s a glimpse of what’s on our drawing board: 

As we await American Camp Association guidelines to weigh alongside government mandates, we’re evaluating how we might make Camp possible in 2020, and drafting plans to run adaptive programs for at least some portion of this summer. Fortunately, many of our school partners are supportive and happy to host us, as long as it’s safe.

Since we want to consider these requirements carefully, we believe the earliest potential start date would be in July. If we get the go-ahead, and our program model is still viable, we’d need about eight weeks to finish getting sites and supplies set. This means we’d aim to let you know by May 18th if we’re good for July 13th, May 25th if we’re good for July 20th, so on and so forth. 

To be in compliance, we’ll need to modify our staffing structure, the size of our Camps, and our program. Luckily, we’re fans of flexibility. We’ve already whirred wheels into motion as to how we can adapt: consolidating some regional locations could allow us to have multiple year-round Directors on-site to better navigate this new normal, as well as enable us to hire more returning counselors, well-versed in our ways. Among other things, we’ll reshape layouts to manage social distancing, and adjust activities to reduce touchpoints. Bottom line: we’ll do what’s necessary to embrace the rules and regs to keep everyone as safe as we can.

Because conditions may vary by state, county and even city, and given COVID-19’s impact on not only our Company, but the communities in which we operate, some of our locations will shift. Many sites will remain; some have been combined with those nearby. Sadly, a few have been postponed until next summer, when we hope to have as many as possible up and running again. You can see all our camps and statuses on our Location and Dates page. 

Despite these scenarios, if Camp can’t happen at all, we’ll continue our historic practice of automatically issuing refunds in September for any unused Passes. 

We’ll keep you posted when we know more about exact dates and any pertinent deets. What can you count on now? That we’ll be counting the days until we can greet you at Camp again.

Our Best,

Steve and Kate

April 10, 2020 - COVID-19 Update from Steve and Kate

For so long, Camp has been a constant: every summer, celebrating kids, freedom, and of course, pies-in-faces. 

A lot is up in the air right now. For all of us. The COVID-19 crisis has created significant disruption, completely throwing our industry and many others upside down. We can’t tell you how excited we’ve been to launch our new programming this summer, or how equally distraught we currently feel as Camp for Summer 2020 hangs in the balance. 

While we’re in a holding pattern, waiting to learn how the immediate future might impact Camp, we’re also holding out hope that things will turn around. In the meantime, we want to proactively consider what we do if they don’t. This is especially important as it relates to the costs of our year-round employees, office and school leases, equipment and supplies, and obligations to you, our customers.

It’s always been our commitment to do whatever we can to take care of our customers, and we’ve prioritized flexibility and transparency from our very start. It’s how we’ve thrived for the past 40 years. 

Depending on how things play out, we might need to ask for your support, to help us thrive for another 40 years.

If you register now and Camp can’t happen, what would be most helpful - if you’re able and willing - is to rollover your Passes until Summer of 2021. If that wasn’t feasible for you, our current plan would be to continue our historic practice of issuing refunds in September for any unused Passes.

Regardless of what unfolds, or if hardships arise, we’ll do what we can to make things work for your family. 

These are challenging times, no matter how you slice it. But our belief in people-power remains unchanged. We're optimistic about the future, and we look forward to reconnecting at Camp again, soon.

Our best,

Steve and Kate

March 18, 2020 - Spring Camp Cancellation

Over the past days and weeks, we’ve worked tirelessly in partnership with doctors, health departments, and local government officials to find the best way to serve the community in a safe manner. Ultimately, it became clear in the past couple days that the safest thing to do for the community was to not run Spring Camp at all. 

Beyond Spring, we’re in touch with host schools and health departments to stay on top of any updates that may inform how we plan for summer. If you are not already on our email list, we encourage you to sign up here in order to stay informed of the latest developments for our Summer program.